Blog

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Glaucoma

Glaucoma is a chronic progressive optic neuropathy caused by a group of ocular conditions which lead to damage of optic nerve with the loss of visual function.
The most common known risk factor is raised intraocular pressure. Normal intraocular pressure is 10 to 20 mmHg. In suspicious cases, the pressure is 20 to 25 mmHg. In glaucoma, the pressure is above 25 mmHg In hypotony , the pressure is below 10 mmHg. The development of glaucoma develops around the aqueous humor dynamics. The principal ocular structures concerned with it are the pars plicata of the ciliary body, angle of anterior chamber and the aqueous outflow system.

1 comment:

  1. I didn’t realize that intraocular pressure what the main cause of glaucoma. What would make the intraocular pressure rise so much? I really don’t know much about glaucoma. I just know that it is a very bad eye disease that can lead to blindness. But I don’t know much of anything else, well now I know what I read here also:) Thank you for the information!

    ReplyDelete